Govt. Serchhip College, an outcome of the joint venture of the people of Serchhip and Chhiahtlang town, was established on 25 August 1973 by the then Chief Minister Ch. Chhunga. In 1975, it was given affiliation by North Eastern Hill University and subsequently to Mizoram University in 2001. The College has also been placed under section 2(f) and 12(B) of the UGC Act, 1956 vide letter No.F.No.8-93/86 (CPP-1) dt. 27. 10. 1990.
Right from the year 1975, Government of Mizoram gave financial assistance to the College under ‘Government Aided Scheme’. And with effect from 1st November 1984, the College was placed under the ‘Deficit Scheme of Grant-in-aid’ and remained under that status till it was provincialised by the Government of Mizoram on 1st January 1989.
Starting with Arts Faculty comprising only five Departments in 1973, the number of department had now increased to thirteen with Science stream re-introduced in the year 2005 along with Bachelor of Computer Application.
The College has perhaps one of the most beautiful campuses in North East India. It has 55 acres of land which is big enough to house residential College of any stream with fully grown planted and natural trees. Administrative, Academic and Library buildings are placed at triangular hill-tops respectively. The Campus is 2 minutes walking distance from National Highway-54. The College at present has 11 Lecturers’ quarters and 1 Chowkidars’ quarters.
‘Seek and Find’
– aims at achieving rich accomplishments in seeking knowledge, wisdom and integrity.